HomeBackSexual HealthSupportProfessionals SectionBoyBoyGirls

ContraceptionServices & ClinicsSexually Transmitted Infections - STIsSexualitySupport for Young Mums and DadsMen and BoysMore InfoWorried About Sex?
Sexualitysexually transmitted infections
Ask a Question

Non-Specific Urethritis - 'NSU'

What is it?

Non-Specific Urethritis (NSU) is an inflammation of a man's urethra (the tube through which you pass urine).

How did I get it?

It is usually caused through sexual Infections, the most common is Chlamydia, but it can also result from:

  • An allergic reaction with bubble baths, latex condoms, etc.

  • Urinary Tract Infections.

  • Possibly drinking to much alcohol.

What are the symptoms?

  • Pain and burning feelings when passing urine.

  • Discharge which may be whitish in appearance from the end of the penis.

  • The feeling of wanting to pass urine more often.

You may have no symptoms at all, but you can still pass the infection to your partner.

What will it do to me?

If treated quickly then there are usually no complications, although it can re-occur But if left untreated:

You may experience inflammation of the testicles.

You may reduce your chances of having children later on.

Where can I go?

To your local Sexual Health Department — GUM Clinic, or Doctor.

Can it be treated

Yes, usually with antibiotics.

If you have this infection your partner will also need treatment, even if they feel fine.

Always wearing a condom during sex will reduce the risk of becoming infected

Top of Page

More Info
Links Page
Ask A QuestionService Info

Sexual Health Section | Support Section | Contact Us | Privacy | Fun | Services